Today is Time to Talk Day! The day amid to bring the nation together to get talking and break the silence around mental health problems.
Did you know that ‘1 in 4’ of us in the UK will experience a mental health problem? Mental health issues can effect anyone so how can you help? Not being able to talk about it can be one of the worst parts of the illness. Being open to mental health can break down any stigma surrounding it. You don’t have to be an expert it’s about the little things that often make the difference.
Five top facts about Mental Health:
- 1 in 4 of us in the UK will experience mental health problems
- Mental health is responsible for more than 70 million days lost from work each year in the UK alone
- Mental ill health is the single largest cause of disability in the UK
- Last year Mental health problems at work cost UK economy £34.9bn (Centre for Mental Health)
- 75% of young people with a mental health problem are not in receipt of treatment
Myths & Facts:
If you have a mental health problem you can find numerous resources and support guides on the Time to Change website.
You can do your bit by sharing the message and encouraging staff to talk more. The lovely people at MIND have also given us some great resources to support staff who are experiencing mental health problems, you can find more information here.
Educators and Community groups:
Find a wide range of support guides and materials to support the Time to Change message. Find assembly packs and handy guides over on the Time to Change website.