What disability benefits and resources are there for young employees? Here’s a list.

Are you a young disabled person aged 16 or over? Do you want to know more about the disability benefits and resources out there if you want to go to work, or keep working as an employee? The team at The University of Sheffield’s My Life, My Choice Project have put together this information on what’s currently out there.

Disability benefits for employees

Employees in receipt of Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) can undertake some paid or unpaid work while claiming. This is defined as  ‘permitted work’, or ‘supported permitted work’.

An employee doing permitted work can do any role as long as they work part time (no more than 16 hours per week).  Employees can be in either the support group or the work-related activity group and still do. Employees about to start permitted work, need to fill in the permitted work form and return this to the Jobcentre Plus office that pays their ESA.

‘Supported permitted work’ is classed as either:

  • supervised by someone from a local council or voluntary organisation whose job it is to arrange work for disabled people
  • part of a treatment programme under medical supervision

How much an employee is able to earn on either permitted or supported permitted will vary so employees should find this out from the jobcentre before starting work.

Access to Work

Access to Work is a grant that helps disabled people find and stay in work. It is the disabled person who applies for the grant but can complete it with support from their employer and can be used to help someone return to work.

To be able to apply, you must:

  • have a disability or health condition (physical or mental) that makes it hard for them to do parts of their job or get to and from work
  • be 16 or over
  • live in England, Scotland or Wales – there’s a different system in Northern Ireland

You will need a paid job, or be about to start or return to one. A paid job includes:

  • an apprenticeship
  • a work trial or work experience
  • an internship.

You can claim for Access to Work while on ESA if you are doing permitted work.

Access to Work can be used for any support you need in the workplace including:

  1. travel
  2. aids and adaptations
  3. communication support and
  4. to develop a mental health action plan

Further information plus application forms can be found at www.gov.uk/access-to-work.

Tagged in: ,

Are You Aged 14-24?
Get FREE Young Professional Training
Are You An Employer?
Get youth employment expert help

For more information, please email info@youthemployment.org.uk or call 01536 513388.

Looking for Youth Friendly Employers?

Find out more about some of the organisations offering high quality training and work opportunities to young people. Your next dream role could be just a click away…

Latest Articles

See more

The cost of mental health support at work – should employers invest in mental health?

Mental health in the workplace: a new report from Deloitte and the charity Mind makes the case that investing in […]

Futures at Stake 2020 report surveys young people, teachers and employers about youth futures

The Prince’s Trust and Govia Thameslink Railway have launched the Futures At Stake 2020 report surveying young people, teachers and employers […]

Dream jobs report – Are young people’s career aspirations narrowing?

The OECD have launched new research exploring young people’s career choices. The Dream Jobs? research findings indicate that young people […]

UK labour market statistics

Labour Market Overview: January 2020

Below you will find the latest labour market statistics for January, the data in this piece is taken from the […]