Youth Voice Census Press and Social Media Pack
Thank you for helping to promote Youth Voice Census 2018 on your publicity and social media channels! We hope the following information is useful when spreading the word among your peers, networks and colleagues.
Social media pack includes:
- Press release, CEO quote and editor notes
- Suggested imagery to include with online/social promotion
- Suggested tweets and social messages
A society failing its young women
Today sees the launch of results from Youth Employment UK’s Youth Voice Census, a survey capturing the experiences of 1,498 14-24 year olds transitioning between education and employment.
- At every stage of education young women are getting less access to careers support than young men.
- Young women are less likely to have work experience opportunities.
- Young women are 20% less likely to have ever received experiences like CV workshops and visits to university in comparison with young men.
- 75% of young women have never had the option of starting their own business discussed with them.
- Young men are statistically more confident that they know the skills employers are looking for (54%) in comparison to young women (38%).
The key findings of this inaugural Youth Voice Census demonstrate that young women are not accessing the same opportunities as young men whilst at school or college. The census has identified clear differences in the information and experiences young women are receiving at every point of their education experience, including careers guidance, work experience and preparing for employment.
Given the current conversation around the gender pay gap, the results of this census should come as a stark warning. If young women are not being supported in learning about all the careers and pathways available, there may not be a future labour force of women who aspire to the same roles as men. Gender inequality will remain a challenge.
The Youth Voice Census will become an annual national benchmarking tool acting as a temperature check of young people’s experiences, and a study in how the support they are receiving is helping them to progress and fulfill their potential.
Laura-Jane Rawlings, Youth Employment UK CEO:
“Youth Employment UK are delighted to launch the first Youth Voice Census. Allowing young people to share their experiences has led to some uncomfortable truths. As a society we are not where we thought we were; young people are still not getting the information they need to help guide and support their future. Young women, specifically, are being disadvantaged. We must ensure that key information and support is reaching all young people and their influencers. As our Youth Voice Census is an annual survey, we will be able to measure the impact of policy and society on our young people, and ensure their voices continue to be heard.”
- Youth Employment UK is a not for profit organisation set up in 2011 to tackle youth unemployment. The organisation provides expertise to government and businesses, led by the views and experiences of the 20,000+ young people in its network.
- The Youth Voice Census will begin to run annually from February 2019.
- For all media enquiries, please contact Laura Gibbon at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 07834 434630.
- Representatives from Youth Employment UK and young people from its network are available for interviews.
Social Image Cards
The images below are suitable for a range of social channels including Twitter and Facebook. You can download a larger version of any image you click on.
- Our Twitter account is @YEUK2012. Please follow us and retweet!
- The campaign hashtag for the Youth Voice Census is #YouthVoiceCensus2018
- The page link to include is https://www.youthemployment.org.uk/youth-voice-census/
- Please include our Twitter handle and # so we can retweet and express our thanks for your insights and generosity!
You can use your choice of images above with these tweets to share the news about the launch of the Youth Voice Census 2018 report on Twitter.
#YouthVoiceCensus2018 results LAUNCHED TODAY – Young people in Britain share their thoughts about their employment future. Read the full @YEUK2012 report here – https://www.youthemployment.org.uk/youth-voice-census/
#YouthVoiceCensus2018 results LAUNCHED TODAY – A huge thank you to all young people who shared their views in @YEUK2012’s nationwide census! https://www.youthemployment.org.uk/youth-voice-census/
#YouthVoiceCensus2018 results launched TODAY. See what young people in Britain really think about their employment future in the full @YEUK2012 report – https://www.youthemployment.org.uk/youth-voice-census/
Today’s #YouthVoiceCensus2018 results reveal that society is failing its young women when it comes to an employment future. See the full @YEUK2012 report here – https://www.youthemployment.org.uk/youth-voice-census/
Download the full #YouthVoiceCensus2018 report launched today by @YEUK2012 to see what the UK’s young people think about employability, skills, work experience and careers education – https://www.youthemployment.org.uk/youth-voice-census/
Download the full #YouthVoiceCensus2018 report launched today by @YEUK2012 to see what young people in the UK think about #CareersEd – https://www.youthemployment.org.uk/youth-voice-census/
Over 1,400 UK respondents to #YouthVoiceCensus2018 shared their experience of #CareersEd and employability. See what’s working and where progress needs to be made in the full @YEUK2012 report launched today – https://www.youthemployment.org.uk/youth-voice-census/